This site uses cookies to provide a better experience. Continuing navigation accept the use of cookies by us OK

Electronic Id Card


Electronic Id Card

cie londra


As from 10th December 2020 you can book an appointment to apply for a electronic ID card (CIE) in the form of a plastic card by following the procedure below. The CIE is issued by the Italian Ministry of the Interior and is sent from Italy.

As from 14th December 2020 it will no longer be possible to apply for a paper ID card (CIC). Applications received after that date will be rejected.

1) What is an electronic ID card?

An ID card is an identification document valid to identify oneself and to move within the European Union, a few Schengen States (i.e. Iceland, Norway and Switzerland) and other States with which bilateral agreements have been reached (please visit each country tab on

The electronic ID card (CIE) is a new ID card in the form of a plastic card. In addition to performing the same functions as the paper version, it allows the holder to access the online services of the Italian Public Administration Departments.

2) Who can apply for an electronic ID card?

The Consulate General of Italy in London can issue an ID card only to Italian nationals legally residing in the London consular district, already registered in the consular database and whose biographical data are already in the A.I.R.E. (Anagrafe degli Italiani Residenti all'Estero – Register of Italians residing abroad).

Those who are not registered in the AIRE must first sort out their registration through the FAST IT and wait, before applying, to be entered into that register by the competent Italian “comune” (municipality). For Italian nationals not registered in the AIRE, the issue of the ID card remains the responsibility of the Italian “comune” of official residence.

If you have changed your residence address (which is different from the one notified to the Consular office), you need to change it through the FAST IT portal before booking your appointment.

To register in the AIRE Italian nationals born abroad must have their birth certificate registered in the civil registers of the relevant Italian municipality.

Furthermore, to obtain the CIE your Italian fiscal code must have been validated by the Agenzia delle Entrate (Revenue Agency). If you do not have a fiscal code or if it has not been validated, this Consulate will deal with the request through the Agenzia delle Entrate.

3) When can I apply for a CIE?

The CIE is issued only:

  • to those do not have another valid ID card;
  • to those who have an ID card with less than 6 months’ validity;
  • to those whose previous ID card has been lost, stolen or is deteriorated (in these cases the fee applied is that for a DUPLICATE)

This Office will automatically cancel any appointments if these requirements are not fulfilled.

4) How do you apply for an electronic ID card (CIE)?

The application for an electronic ID card must be submitted only through the Prenot@MI online platform.

PLEASE NOTE: Should investigations reveal evidence preventing the processing of the CIE application, the appointment will be automatically cancelled (it will not be possible to make any corrections). The applicant will be informed of the reasons for rejection and will need to make a new application (attention should therefore be made to the requirements specified in the form).

5) Can I book an appointment for my minor children?

Yes. Whilst booking your appointment you will need to complete the form for each person who needs a new CIE (applicants). With one application you will be able to book an appointment for up to 4 (four) people.

6) Can I book an appointment for my spouse?

No. Your spouse needs to book an appointment on their own.

7) What documents must I submit at the appointment to apply for my CIE?

Each applicant will receive a confirmation email for the appointment with a list of documents they will need to submit.

Normally the applicant must come to the appointment with the following:

  1. Passport-size biometric photograph (recent, colour photograph in frontal view on a white background, 35 x 45mm size);
  2. Previous ID card. If it is missing, an identification document (even if it has expired) or two witnesses;
  3. Lost/stolen ID card form, if applicable (mod. DEN1);
  4. Other parent’s consent if the applicant has children under 18 regardless of the marital status of the applicant (see point 11);
  5. Both parents’ consent if the applicant is under 18 (see point 11);
  6. British debit card to pay in British pounds.

8) What will happen at the appointment?

At the appointment the consular officer will collect the documents listed at the previous point, carry out the identification of the applicant, process their photograph and capture their fingerprints (except for applicants under 12).

Please note that also minors under 12 must be present, because they must be identified by the consular officer.

9) How do I receive my eletronic ID card?

The CIE is issued by the Italian Ministry of the Interior and produced by the Istituto Poligrafico e Zecca dello Stato (Italian State Printing Works and Mint), which sends it by recorded delivery to the residence address declared by the applicant. The applicant will be able to track the delivery online through the tracking code provided. In case of non-delivery, after the holding time at the post office has elapsed, the package will be returned to the Consular office.

10) How long is the ID card valid for?

The validity of the ID card varies according to the age of the holder, more specifically:

  • 3 years for minors aged from 0 to 2 years;
  • 5 years for minors aged from 3 to 17 years;
  • 10 years for adults (aged 18 and above).

11) What is the consent?

If the applicant has minor children, he/she will need to submit the other parent’s consent.

If the ID application is for a parent, the consent form (CIE1) will have to be completed and signed by the other parent.

If the ID application is for a minor, the consent form (CIE2) will have to be completed and signed by both parents.

The consent is necessary even if the parents are not married, are separated or divorced.

  • If the other parent of the minor children is an EU national, they will not not need to come to the Consulate. Instead they may give their consent by completing and signing the CIE1 form and by attaching a photocopy of their own ID document, so that the consular officer may verify their signature.
  • If one of the parents is a non-EU national (including British Citizen), the application form must be signed before a Consular officer, a public official in Italy or a British notary public (in this case the notary document must be legalised by means of an apostille). If the parent is in a country other than Italy or the UK, they will need to sign the form at the relevant consular office where they are located at the time.
  • If the other parent’s consent cannot be obtained, a decreto del Giudice tutelare (Consular Decree) signed by the Consul General acting as Judge supervising a guardianship will be issued. The Consul General in London acts as a Judge supervising a guardianship for minors residing and registered in the London consular district. If the minor is resident in Italy, the Tribunale dei Minori (Juvenile Court) is the competent authority.
  • If one of the parents is deceased, a copy of the death certificate will need to be submitted.

12) Do I have to apply for a new ID card if I change address?

No. The ID card is an identification document and not a residence document. It is therefore not possible or necessary to update your address on a valid ID card.

13) Can married women have their married name added?

No. The ID card is an identification document and not a marital status document. It is therefore not possible or necessary to add the marital status or the spouse’s surname on an ID card.

14) Starting from when can I apply for an electronic ID card (CIE)?

You can apply for an appointment for the issue of an electronic ID card from 10th December 2020.

15) May I apply for ID card in my Municipality in Italy even if I am resident abroad?

Yes. The Municipalities have the primary authority to issue ID cards and they can issue those documents to Italians living abroad without asking authorisation to the Consulate (differently from Passports emission). For info about procedures and time schedule please ask your Municipality in Italy. 


For further information and details, please click on this link:

General information on the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation