This site uses cookies to provide a better experience. Continuing navigation accept the use of cookies by us OK

How to apply for an adult passport - Morning appointments (applicants aged 18 or above)


How to apply for an adult passport - Morning appointments (applicants aged 18 or above)

You may apply for a passport at the London Consulate General if you are Italian and registered in the AIRE (Anagrafe degli Italiani Residenti all’Estero – Register of Italians residing abroad). For information on how to register in the AIRE, please click here.

Before you apply for a passport, if you:

  • were born abroad (not in Italy);
  • have acquired Italian citizenship abroad or in Italy (but not through the London Consulate General);
  • have acquired Italian citizenship by marriage abroad or in Italy (but not through the London Consulate General),

you must first ensure that your birth certificate has been registered at your comune (Italian municipality) of AIRE registration. If this is not the case, you must bring your original birth certificate (legalised by means of an apostille and translated in the country where it was issued) together with your passport application.

The above applies to all Italian nationals, including those who already have an Italian passport.

Documentation to submit at the appointment

Before your appointment, we kindly invite you to carefully read the checklist of the documents to submit together with the application form.

You need to come to the counter with the relevant forms already completed. Please note that if the documentation is incomplete or incorrect your application will be rejected.


  • MOD1 application form (pdf), duly completed;
  • Previous passport (expired or deteriorated or, if not available, national ID card);
  • If your passport has been lost or stolen, British police report or alternatively the relevant Italian lost/stolen passport form. Please bring another valid ID document. If you don't have one, just fill the Italian lost/stolen passport form.
  • If this is your first Italian passport, you need to submit:
    • An Italian ID document (ID card or driving licence);
    • A foreign document (passport);
  • 2 recent identical passport-size photos (taken within six months), compliant with the international ICAO standards

Other parent’s consent

If the applicant has minor children (under the age of 18), they must ask the other parent to complete and sign Section B of the MOD1 Form or alternatively submit a separate Modulo Assenso Altro Genitore (Other Parent’s Consent Form). The consent is necessary even if the parents are not married, are separated or divorced, and even if the minor children already have their own passport. The reason for this is to protect the child.

  • If the other parent of the minor children is an EU national, they do not need to come to the Consulate. Instead they may give their consent by signing in the relevant box on the applicant’s application form and by attaching a photocopy of their own ID document, so that the passport officer may verify their signature;
  • If one of the parents of the minor children is a non-EU national (including British Citizens), read carefully the specific section.