The Mission Visa allows entry into Italy for political, governmental or public utility functions.
In particular, the following categories are eligible for a Mission visa:
A. Officials employed by administrations of foreign countries on a work mission in Italy;
B. Staff of the international organizations with which Headquarters Agreements are in force;
C. Staff with fixed-term contracts of international organizations with which Headquarters Agreements are in force and personalities and members of delegations officially invited to participate in conferences, meetings, conventions and events;
D. Diplomatic officials, for short official stays in Italy, provided that they do not involve in formal accreditation or notification;
E. Foreign citizens involved in international organizations for cultural or research activities (for example: researchers and students of the University Institute of European Studies or trainees at FAO or other specialized United Nations Agencies);
F. Civilian personnel destined to serve at NATO military bases (military personnel are visa-free), which concern both the civilian component (non-military employees directly employed by the US Department of Defense and their armed forces) and the “civilian personnel” (technicians and contractors of private companies, employees of other American Departments and other personnel). For applicants who are located in the United States, the visa will be issued following the request of the US Department of Defense or the Department the person concerned works for. For applicants outside the United States, the request will reach the Representations with a letter from the U.S.S.S.S.O. (diplomatic-legal office that deals with military and civilian personnel destined for Italy) on headed paper of the American Embassy in Rome;
G. Personalities and foreigners who hold high civil and religious offices;
H. Personalities and members of delegations officially invited by the Italian Government;
I. Participants in events and meetings envisaged by bilateral or multilateral agreements to which Italy is a contracting party;
J. Third-country nationals who are official journalist in their Country and that must be credited in Italy. In this case they need a Nulla Osta (non-impediment declaration) issued by the press office of the External Affairs Ministry. Their application must be submitted by diplomatic authority;
K. Athletes who participate in sports events or intend to stay in Italy for training periods longer than 90 days, following the official request from CONI;
L. Family members of the main applicant.
All documents must be printed out and presented in original plus a photocopy where required. Applicants must provide:
1) Application form duly filled up and signed. For short stay visas up to 90 days please download and fill up Schengen Visa application form [click here]. For long stay visas beyond 90 days please download and fill up Long term application form [click here];
2) Valid passport or travel document (original plus photocopy), valid at least 3 months beyond the return date of your trip from Italy and at least with two blank pages for
Schengen/Short term visa. Valid passport or travel document (original plus photocopy), valid at least 3 months and with at least with two blank pages for National/Long term visa. The passport will be kept and returned with the visa, if approved;
3) Valid UK Residence Permit (original plus photocopy), valid at least 3 months beyond the return date of your trip in Italy for
Schengen/Short term visa. Valid UK Residence Permit (original plus photocopy) for National/Long term visa;
4) Passport-style photo, full front and white background and not older than 6 months;
5) Documentation proving the status of public officials or international organisations sent in Italy in the performance of their duties or of individuals whose activity or purpose of the stay is in the public interest for the relations between Italy and the home state/country (i.e. staff ID card, original plus one photocopy);
6) Verbal note of the corresponding Ministry or employer Organisation stating the mission program and the authority covering the expenses related to the mission;
7) Round-trip travel ticket reservation for short-term Schengen Visa shorter than 90 days. One way travel tickets reservation for long-term National visa longer than 90 days. Please note:
a. if travelling by plane, train or bus the ticket must be printed directly from the airline/train line/bus operator, showing passenger’s name, dates, from/to;
b. if travelling by car, ferry tickets or Eurotunnel tickets are required, alongside with car registration (original plus photocopy) car insurance (original plus photocopy) and driving licence If renting a car, the same documentation is required plus the car rental documents;
c. if travelling to multiple Schengen countries, travel tickets between each country is mandatory;
d. if using third parties services, such as travel agencies, note that they will be accepted only if based in the UK or in one of the Schengen countries. Travel tickets must always be issued from the airline/trainline/bus operator themselves and any other paper will not be taken into account. This applies to letter a), b), c).
8) In case of family members, proof of relationship: marriage/civil partnership/birth certificate (original plus one photocopy). Please, note:
- marriage certificates/civil partnership certificates older than 6 months will NOT be accepted;
- certificates issued by a foreign authority other than the UK, MUST be translated in English or Italian and legalised by the Italian Consular Office of the issuing Country OR by the Consular Authority in the UK of the issuing Country;
- certificates issued by one of the Schengen countries will be accepted only if multilingual, otherwise please refer to second note.
Citizens of Pakistan, Afghanistan, Iraq, Palestine and Travel Documents holders (with the three letters code XXA or XXB appearing in the ICAO) need to provide full names of mother and father and it must result from a birth certificate or Consular declaration.
THE VISA IS FREE OF CHARGE ONLY IF THE APPLICANT COMPLIES WITH ALL THE ABOVE REQUIREMENTS.
PLEASE BE AWARE THAT, AT THE TIME OF YOUR APPOINTMENT, YOUR APPLICATION WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED UNLESS PRESENTED WITH ALL REQUIRED DOCUMENTS. IF ALL THE ITEMS LISTED ABOVE ARE NOT PRESENTED, THE APPLICANT WILL HAVE TO RESCHEDULE A NEW APPOINTMENT.
THE INFORMATION OUTLINED ABOVE MAY BE SUBJECT TO CHANGE WITHOUT PRIOR NOTICE. NO LIABILITY CAN BE ACCEPTED FOR THE CONSEQUENCES OF SUCH CHANGES.
THIS CONSULAR ADMINISTRATION HAS FULL AUTHORITY TO EVALUATE AND REQUEST ADDITIONAL DOCUMENTATION, IF DEEMED NECESSARY, IN ADDITION TO WHAT HAS BEEN SUBMITTED. FURTHERMORE, THE APPLICANT, IS HEREBY INFORMED THAT SUBMITTING ALL THE REQUIRED DOCUMENTATION, DOES NOT GUARANTEE THE ISSUANCE OF ANY PARTICULAR VISA.