The biometric passport is an identity document with a microchip which contains the holder’s personal data as well as their photograph and fingerprints.
Children under 12 and persons suffering from a medical condition – certified in the manners prescribed by law – that renders them permanently unable to travel are exempted from fingerprinting. Persons permanently unable to travel wishing to apply for a passport may find the relevant information here.
Validity of a biometric passport:
- 3 years for children aged from 0 to 3 years;
- 5 years for children aged from 3 to 18 years;
- 10 years for adults (aged 18 or above).
Fees and methods of payment
The passport fee is subject to the quarterly exchange rate euro – British pound (EUR/GBP).
To check the correct fees, please visit the Consular fees section.
Accepted payment methods (morning appointments)
- DEBIT CARD issued by a British bank or building society
Accepted payment methods (afternoon appointments)
- POSTAL ORDER you may purchase at any British post office, made payable to Italian Consulate General.
Priority fees cannot be applied to Passport applications sent by post. Do not include payment for Priority fees if you apply for the Passport by post.
With a view to making the service provided more efficient, this Consulate General receives by appointment only, except in cases of proven emergency (for information on emergency passports click here).
- To book an appointment you need to create an account on Prenot@MI and proceed autonomously to book an appointment. Every day new slots will be added at 7 pm (UK time).
2. Those who live far from the London Consulate General may book an appointment with one of the honorary consular offices (Bedford, Bristol, Cardiff, Peterborough). Click here for further information.
3. BOOK YOUR APPOINTMENT via Patronati (ACLI, INAS-CISL, INCA–CGIL e ITAL-UIL). New date are always available and the service is free. Check our news (in Italian) for further details.PLEASE NOTE
The booking service through the honorary Consuls/Consular Agents and Patronati is only for:
- Capturing the applicant’s biometric data and submitting the relevant supporting documentation;
- Italian nationals registered in the AIRE and residing within the London consular district.
The passport is not issued immediately but it will be sent to your home address subsequently.
4. NEW INITIATIVES: AD HOC ROUTES FOR PASSPORT ISSUE (NO APPOINTMENT). Please check in advance if you qualify for it.
- “Mums-to-be” for pregnant women, who can come to this Consulate General Monday to Friday between 12 noon and 1 p.m. without an appointment;
- “Silver Day” for over 70s, who can come to this Consulate General every morning from Tuesday to Friday without an appointment;
- “Disabled persons”, Monday to Friday from 12 noon to 1 p.m. without an appointment;
- Passport for minors 0 to 11:we have reduced the processing times – currently 2 to 3 weeks – to meet the needs of the new parents;
- Passport for minors aged 12 to 17: they can come to this Consulate General on Wednesday and Friday between 3 and 4 p.m.