It is now possible to reinstate the surname of applicants born abroad with surnames of both parents on the birth certificate, pursuant to art. 98, paragraph 2 of Presidential Decree on 3 November 2000 n. 396, Circular Note n. 397 on 15.05.2008 by the Ministry of the Interior and Sentence n. 286 of 08.11.2016 by the Constitutional Court.
In the case of an application for a minor child a written statement by both parents must accompany the application, agreeing to the addition of the maternal surname.
1. complete and sign the application form (see HomePage – Forms – Registry Office);
2. attach the BIRTH CERTIFICATE with translation and ‘Apostille’. For the Apostille service, please refer to:
The Legalisation Office,
Foreign and Commonwealth Office
Legalisation@fcdo.gov.uk 03700 00 22 44 – 9am – 5pm Monday to Friday
3. Internet site: www.fco.gov.uk/legalisation;
4. attach a photocopy of your valid passport and (if any) of your foreign passport;
5. send the application and attachments to the relevant Italian Town Hall (‘Comune’).