This site uses technical, analytics and third-party cookies.
By continuing to browse, you accept the use of cookies.

How to register a marriage


  • preliminary registration with the AIRE is required in order to proceed with processing the marriage, for registration with the relevant Italian Municipality;
  • it is advisable to update your civil status promptly, ensuring that any previous marriages and subsequent divorces have been registered.

PLEASE NOTE: Applications will be dealt with in order of arrival at this Registry Office. We will process the documents in approximately eight weeks. A confirmation email will be sent to you. Please also check your spam mail.

The Consulate will not reply to emails requesting confirmation of receipt of the documentation, as this information is available on the Royal Mail website page “Track your item“.


  1. fully complete the application form for registration (Form n. 16). The application must be signed by both spouses;
  2. enclose: PHOTOCOPY of ID Card or passport and a Certified Copy of an Entry of Marriage issued by the relevant Registry Office. The certificate needs to be original (photocopies are not acceptable) and complete with Apostille (International Legalisation).“Apostille” can be obtained from the Legalisation Office for the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office those states, signatories of the Hague Convention, legalisation is by apostille. For a list of those countries please consult their website. For all other states, the legalisation will be of a consular type, requested from the diplomatic mission in the country where the birth certificate is issued. For further details please consult the Embassies and Consulates in those states.
  3. attach a translation of the marriage certificate in Italian – the Apostille is not translated (please click here for a List of Certified TranslatorsTHE CERTIFICATE MUST BE FULLY TRANSLATED – THIS CONSULATE DOES NOT CARRY OUT TRANSLATIONS. The translation can be done by oneself only if it is true to the original. PLEASE NOTE: in the case of certificates issued by authorities other than British, it is always necessary to obtain the services of a professional translator. In fact the services of a professional translator are always advised, so as not to end up with translation errors, which would preclude the registration by the Municipalities in Italy.
  4. IMPORTANT: please be informed also that in case of a marriage occurring in a foreign country other than the United Kingdom, you must obtain a proper legalisation both for your marriage certificate and translation of the same. Said legalisation and translation can be provided only by the appropriate Italian Consulate or Embassy located in the relevant country (for instance : Pakistan – Embassy of Italy in Islamabad). Please consult their relevant websites for further details.
  5. Marriage certificates issued by those states that have signed the Vienna Convention of 08.09.1976 are exempt from legalisation/”Apostille” and translation. The states party to the Convention are: Austria, Belgium, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Cape Verde, Croatia, Estonia, France, Germany, Italy, Lithuania, Luxembourg, North Macedonia, Moldova, Montenegro, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Serbia, Slovenia, Spain, Switzerland and Turkey. Please note that Albania is not a party to the abovementioned Convention and therefore  pluringual registry exacts will need an Apostille, together with a translation in Italian (no apostille required).
  6. please post all the above documentation to:CONSOLATO GENERALE D’ITALIA – LONDRA
    Ufficio Stato Civile
    83/86 Farringdon Street
    EC4A 4BL – London
  7. Prestamped Special Delivery envelope fo any modifications/amendments required.


  • Please note that if all the documentation is complete and correct and we positively process the application, this Consulate will NOT return any paperwork submitted. Please note that you can request another identical “Certified Copy of an Entry of Marriage” to the relevant Registry Office.
  • Please be informed that, should the above-mentioned documentation be incomplete or incorrect, the application will NOT be processed and the paperwork will be returned only if a stamped, self addressed envelope has been included (Special Delivery);
  • For further information, please contact us at the following email: