This site uses technical, analytics and third-party cookies.
By continuing to browse, you accept the use of cookies.

Preferences cookies

Civil Partnership between persons of the same gender

Trancription of Entries in the Civil Partnership Registry and Marriage certificates solemnized abroad between persons of the same gender.

By a recent Italian legislation (Law No 76 on 20.05.2016, entered into force on 05.06.2016 and DPCM (Decree of the President of the Council of Ministers) No 144 on 23.07.2016, entered into force on 29.07.2016, you can now request through the Consular authorities, registration for Entries in the Civil Partnership Registry or Marriage certificates, solemnized abroad between persons of the same gender (article 8, paragraph 3); said registration will be carried out by the appropriate Italian Municipality.

The afore-mentioned documents will be transcribed into the Italian National Registry such as ”civil partnerships”; transcription will take place in a Provisional Register for Civil Partnerships that has been established in each Italian Municipality (article 9, paragraph 1, DPCM 144/2016). In all related documents and deeds, marital status of persons will be specified as ‘’civil partners’’ if requested (article 7, paragraph 2, DPCM 144/2016).

In order to obtain in Italy a registration for an Entry of Civil Partnership in the Registry or a Marriage certificate between persons of the same gender, solemnized in the United Kingdom, please send to this Consulate General the following documentation :

1. application form (please click here) signed by both civil partners; please submit all the necessary information, specifically, your father and mother’s details, place and date of the civil partnership (or marriage), both partners’ previous marital status:

2. your Entry of Civil Partnership in the Registry (or your Marriage Certificate), in the original, completed with the ”Apostille” (International legalization-see below) issued by the British Foreign Office, with full translation into Italian (click here for a list of Translators known Consulate-General)

3. photocopy of valid Italian passports or identity cards for the two civil partners;

To obtain an Apostille please contact: The Legalisation Office – Foreign And Commonwealth Office – P.O. Box 6255 – Milton Keynes MK10 1XX – web address:; email:

4. mail the above documentation to: CONSULATE GENERAL OF ITALY – LONDON Registry Office – 3rd floor – ” Harp House ” – 83/86 Farringdon Street – EC4A 4BL London.

Please be informed that in case of incorrect or incomplete documentation, your application will not be processed.