This site uses technical, analytics and third-party cookies.
By continuing to browse, you accept the use of cookies.

Preferences cookies

Italian minors travelling without their parents

If you wish a minor under 14, holder of an Italian ID card or passport, to travel abroad accompanied by a person other than their parents, or placed in the care of airline staff, you need to specify in the relevant form the name of the person, of the organisation or the airline company in the care of whom the child should be placed. The child can be placed in the care of more than one person or airline.

The declaration shall be valid for a maximum of 6 months, for only one single and/or return journey with a given destination. The issue of the declaration does not incur any consular fee.

Procedure currently in place for the issue of a declaration for minors travelling without their parents (July 2020)

1. If both the minor’s parents are EU nationals, or are non-EU nationals and are legal residents of Italy, the issue of the declaration is by post.

Both parents need to post the following documentation to the Notary Department:

  • Photocopy of both parents’ Italian ID card or passport;
  • Photocopy of the minor’s Italian ID card or passport;
  • Copy of the relevant form duly completed and signed by both parents;
  • Prepaid envelope with the address where you wish to receive the declaration.

The address of the Notary Department is:

Ufficio Notarile
Consolato Generale d’Italia a Londra
Harp House, 83-86 Farringdon Street
London EC4A 4BL

2. If one of the parents is not an EU national and is not a legal resident of Italy, they will need to come to the Notary Department in person (please note that the Italian parent does not need to accompany them).

In this case, both parents will need to write to to schedule an appointment.

At the appointment the non-EU parent will need to submit the following documentation:

  • Photocopy of the ID card or passport of the minor’s Italian parent;
  • Photocopy of the minor’s Italian ID card or passport;
  • Original passport of the non-EU parent;
  • Copy of the relevant printed form duly completed and signed only by the Italian parent.

Travel Consent Form